Whereas getting a professional-grade benchtop power supply may seem like the best way to go, most of these are bloated with features that aren’t essential for hobbyists. On the other hand, getting the best hobbyist benchtop power supplyis a little bit difficult with the wide variety of options in the market today.
This post, however, will be quite resourceful to anyone working on DIY projects and needs different power requirements throughout their projects.
Think of how convenient it would be to create a temporary power source and be able to meet different voltage or current demands at your convenience. With the convenient dials and buttons, you’ll be able to handle your project to completion.
Upon putting lots of benchtop power supplies to test, here are the top 7 that stood out.
- Best hobbyist benchtop power supply reviews
- 1. DC Power Supply Variable 30V 10A
- 2. Siglent Technologies SPD3303X-E Triple Output Power Supply
- 3. Yescom 110V AC 30V 10A DC Power Supply
- 4. Eventek KPS3010D Variable Switching Regulated Digital Power Supply
- 5. Tacklife high precision DC power supply
- 6. Dr.meter Triple Linear Variable DC Power Supply
- 7. KORAD KD3005D – Precision Variable Adjustable 30V, 5A DC Linear Power Supply
- Buying guide: the essential features to consider
- Final verdict
Best hobbyist benchtop power supply reviews
With either of the options reviewed below, you’ll have a stable power output and no compromises on your projects. Let’s see what the best of the best of the best have in store for us.
1. DC Power Supply Variable 30V 10A
Any hobbyist would appreciate a benchtop power supply that’s easy to operate which is why this one has got a convenient power display window on it. Additionally, both the voltage and current readings can be adjusted from 0 to the rated value which makes it handy to have.
For accuracy and longevity, the power supply comes with an intelligent temperature control feature.
This incorporates a built-in cooling fan that’s got a thermo-sensor with which the power supply will be kept cool at all times. This way, there’ll be noise reduction and you’ll get to use it for quite a long time.
Being a precise variable DC power supply, the variable voltage output is 0-30V, current output is 0-10 amp and with the 4-digit LED display with an accuracy of 00.01 V and 00.01A, you couldn’t go wrong.
Last but not least, there are a single output power cord, a single input power cord and a pair of test probes all of which make this a convenient addition for you.
- Features an intelligent temperature control feature
- Has got a 4LED digital display.
- Features a high accuracy and reliability level
- The setting knobs spin freely without any clicks to them
2. Siglent Technologies SPD3303X-E Triple Output Power Supply
As far as versatility is concerned, this is the way to go since it’s a 3 in one unit. to add icing on the cake, safety and durability are both observed.
As mentioned, it’s a 3 in one power supply unit with the independent, series and parallel output modes all in one. It’s got a total power of 220 watts and is a true linear supply, the noise reduction feature and regulations are amazing.
Yet another feature that blew my mind on this best budget bench power supply is that it’s got an easy power PC software that is capable of supporting SCPI commands plus there is an available LabVIEW driver.
For safety purposes, it does have an intelligent temperature-controlled fan which means noise is reduced, performance improved and longevity made better.
- True linear design for regulated output noise
- Comes with intelligent temperature-controlled fan
- Comes with easy power PC software
- You need to download software and drivers for use
- Doesn’t support Mac OS
3. Yescom 110V AC 30V 10A DC Power Supply
From the durable steel case design to the multiple circuitry protection, this power supply stands out to be oneof the best for anyone who’s getting started with using power supplies.
Besides the amazing safety levels, the intelligent temperature control fan will be able to adjust the fan speed according to the load situation which then effectively reduces noise and prolong the life of the fan.
For the safety levels, it comes with the overvoltage protection, open circuit protection as well as the over-temperature protection. Alongside the safety, protection is also an amazing constant voltage and constant current operating modes with automatic conversion. It’s also worth mentioning that with the high-quality key components adopted, the power supply can be used in 24 hours with a full load.
Last but not least, it’s got a reliable display with a precision of ±1% ±1digit that should be good enough for use as a hobbyist.
- Features over-voltage, open circuit, and over-temperature protection
- Includes intelligent temperature control fan
- Has got a durable steel case design
- The directions are a little vague.
- It’s a little difficult to get the current limiter working well
4. Eventek KPS3010D Variable Switching Regulated Digital Power Supply
Despite the simple design and appearance, there’s more than meets the eye with the Eventek KPS3010D. Being specifically aimed at scientific research, product development, labs, schools, and electronic production lines, it’ll serve as the best bench power supplies unit.
For the functionality, the output voltage and current are continuously adjustable at nominal value plus it features a high level of accuracy with low ripples and noises. Additionally, it does have a perfect overload and short circuit protection circuit that gets you consistency at its best since the overall efficiency is over 89%.
Also, with the intelligent temperature control feature that’s got a built-in thermal sensor, there will be effective noise reduction which overall prolongs the life of this power supply.
As far as circuit protection is concerned, you’ll appreciate the limit current protection, thermal protection, voltage overload protection, and hot-circuit protection.
- Longevity is enhanced with the intelligent temperature control fan
- Output current and voltage are continuously adjustable at nominal value
- Features a functional overload and short circuit protection
- Voltage display is a little low that the actual voltage
- The instructions for setting amperage are a little unclear
5. Tacklife high precision DC power supply
When ease of use, safety, and functionality are a priority, the MDC01 from Tacklife should do the trick. First things first, it’s got 4-digits readings with backlit LCD. These get you a more accurate and clearer readout for both the voltage and current values.
For the safety, it includes a grounding wire, voltage overload protection, short circuit protection as well as thermal protection. Also, with the included fan, the operation noise will be reduced which altogether prolongs the life of the product effectively.
As far as ease of use is concerned, the constant voltage and current operation modes make it easy to dial in the desired voltage with the encoded-controlled fine and coarse adjustment knobs. These also allow you to see the amperage and voltage changes as the circuit components are switched in and out.
With the included high precision and data hold function, you should be able to adjust the knob lightly from 0 to 30 volts and 0 to 5A for the current. For the data hold, all you got to do is press two knots for 3 seconds simultaneously to hold and do the same to release the held set of values
- Comes with a constant voltage and current operation mode
- Features a 4-digit backlit LED display
- Comes with thermal, short circuit and over-voltage protection
- The sleeve on top of the alligator clip slips easily
6. Dr.meter Triple Linear Variable DC Power Supply
Coming up second last on our reviews is the best lab bench power supply if you’re all about getting a little bit of everything. For starters, you can use this independently or have it set both in series mode to have it reach as much as 60V output voltage and in parallel mode to get maximum voltage. Additionally, it can reach as much as 10V for the output current.
For the adjustments, using it was quite easy since the voltage and current can be adjusted flexibly to a specific fixed value from 0 to 5A or 30 volts without any fluctuations whatsoever.
As for the triple linear power supply, it can be auto switched between a constant voltage and constant current mode. There’s also an automatic tracking which is designed for master and slave circuit whereby the master circuit can be used to automatically track the output voltage within the slave circuits.
For protection, the device is designed to prevent the user from any risks due to the convenient protection mechanisms included.
- Designed with master and slave circuits
- Comes with multiple protection modes
- Has got a 4 color LED display for accuracy and visibility
- It lacks a fine-tuning system
- The power button is a little bit flimsy
7. KORAD KD3005D – Precision Variable Adjustable 30V, 5A DC Linear Power Supply
Wrapping up our reviews is a compact unit from Korad Technology. From the temperature-controlled fan to the easy to use controls, you’ll enjoy every minute of using this bad boy. Additionally, there’s low noise and ripple which means accuracy and reliability will be at their best.
Besides the fine and coarse adjustment control knobs, the 4-digit LED display gets you both accurate voltage and current values. Still, on the knobs, it’s also worth mentioning that it does have a knob lock function for utmost reliability. Something else that made this power supply stand out from the rest in its class is the automatic switching feature between mA and A display.
For the protection, it boasts the overload, short circuit and over-temperature protection which keeps the unit operational for quite a long time.
- Has got a switchable power input of 110/220V
- Comes with multiple protection features for longevity
- Has got both the fine and coarse adjustment knobs
- The user manual is a little unclear
- It’s a little unpredictable when switching between constant voltage and current
Buying guide: the essential features to consider
To meet your needs as a hobbyist, here are some of the most important things you should consider before purchasing a benchtop power supply.
The voltage and current limitations
Being two of the most important electrical units, you must know how much voltage and current power supply can provide. This should be enough to get you through most of your projects
The power supply must be able to keep up with the current drawn when you supply your circuit with a given amount of voltage.
When it comes to safety, you must pay attention to the current limiting control feature if you are using a power supply for your very first time. With this feature, you’ll have the current capped at a level that won’t compromise your electrical or electronic components.
Linear vs switching design
The main difference between linear and switching power supplies is in how they produce DC power. If you’ll be working on sensitive analog circuitry, I’d recommend the linear power supplies since they have little electrical noise. On the other hand, switching power supplies are lighter and more compact as far as DC power production is concerned.
Number of channels
Unless you need different supplies at the same time, I’d recommend that you go for a single channel since it does the job quite well for a hobbyist.
Last but not least, you must pay attention to changes in the voltage input and output. These are of 5 different kinds: regulated, unregulated, adjustable, adjustable regulated and isolated power supply.
We’ve covered everything there is to know about what you should look forward to in the best hobbyist benchtop power supply as a hobbyist and what the top picks of 2020 have in store for you.
Though your needs may demand otherwise, I’d highly recommend that you get theDC Power Supply Variable 30V 10A from LONGWEI since it’s an all-around option suitable for almost anyone.
Resources & References